Wind Advisory and Plans for Wednesday, 01/29/2020
For Immediate Release:
THERMAL, Calif. -January 28, 2020-Well, after weeks of perfect weather, tomorrow we’ll have our first windy day. The good news is the forecast is only for a single day of wind and then the forecast returns to perfect weather through the end of the first half of the circuit. We have implemented a detailed wind program and I wanted to highlight a few things so you are aware.
1. The portable toilets are all staked in the ground, so you won’t see any on their sides.
2. All of the stall tents have been inspected to ensure they are secure. The new clear span tents are rated significantly above the pole tents for wind speed tolerance so there should not be any problems. Either way, we’ll have crew in the tent area should there be any issues that come up.
3. We’ll be removing all of our traffic signs as they tend to fall over with wind. Please take care in driving around the property without our constant reminders!
4. We are prepared to remove the tent tops by the rings that are set up for shade should the wind exceed the current forecast.
5. All the jumps in the rings will have sand bags from the start of the day and we will focus on using jumps that are less likely to fall over. We are also removing any decorative items which can be blown by the wind.
6. ALL RINGS WILL START AT 7:30AM. ON THE JUMPER SCHEDULE, WE WILL MOVE THE $5,000 WELCOME SPEED 1.35M TO THURSDAY (CLASS 416). ON THE HUNTER SCHEDULE, WE WILL MAKE DECISIONS ABOUT THE DAY AFTER EACH DIVISION IS COMPLETED.
7. We are suspending video streaming for the day given the conditions for the cameramen.
8. We would advise everyone to look around their areas and secure anything that could get loose, including and especially your set-ups. If anyone needs any assistance, please reach out to Brian (845-416-7496).
If you have any questions, please reach out to the show office. We will make further announcements if any of this changes. As someone just reminded me, wind without rain or snow is still pretty good, and there will be lots of sunshine.
About the Desert International Horse Park
With nearly 1.3 million square feet of competition and riding space, the Desert International Horse Park is one of the largest equestrian facilities in North America. Offering 10 weeks of world-class competition, eight during the Desert Circuit from January – March and two during the Sunshine Series in November, the facility is a destination location for thousands of equestrians, their horses, family and friends for several months annually. Competitors from all over the world travel to Thermal, CA to not only compete but to enjoy everything the desert has to offer.